Monday, November 29, 2004

Book Burning

I’m not normally the kind of person who would ever advocate book banning. But I’ve decided to make an exception for some of the “business” books being inflicted on unsuspecting employees lately, most notably by Ken Blanchard.

Of course, the first book to go on the pyre would have to be the most well-known "management by idiots" book Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life followed closely by …

The One Minute Manager
Putting the One Minute Manager to Work
The On-Time, On-Target Manager : How a "Last-Minute Manager" Conquered Procrastination
The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life (One Minute Manager Library)
The One Minute Apology : A Powerful Way to Make Things Better
The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams (revised Edition) (One Minute Manager Library)
Leadership and the One Minute Manager : Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
Self-Leadership and the One Minute Manager : Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self-Leadership

and finally The One Minute Manager Meets The Monkey where the idiotic “One Minute Manager” concept meets the even more idiotic “Monkey On Your Back” concept from Managing Management Time by William Oncken.

1 comment:

UnknownVariable said...

I have the one minute manager. The day after my old company had announced that they were going to lay off 200 + people (dot-bomb bubble was bursting), each employee in my branch office received a "who moved my cheese" book I guess as a way to "inspire" them to adapt to change (i.e. added work/responsibility)

I loathe these types of books.